Sunday, June 19, 2011

The "Elder" has Landed!

The drama behind Kevin's phone call was UnBeLiEvEaBlE!!!!
George and I had a belated 30th wedding anniversary trip planned and were leaving on the 13th. Now we knew that would be NEAR the time Kevin would be leaving and therefore calling home BUT we had NO IDEA that it would all be happening on the same day AND at the same time! I was heartsick about it for a week. I was more concerned for Kevin not being able to talk to his parents than I was me getting to talk to him. Ok...maybe I was as bummed for me as I was him. The forever optimist, George kept saying it would all work out. I prayed so hard that SOMETHING would happen for us to be able to connect. Well, it wasn't looking good because our flight left for Chicago at 7:05pm and that would be the time that Kevin would be getting through security and then to a phone booth. He was scheduled to leave SLC at 8:30pm. I could hardly bear it!!!
Well,we were on our way to the airport and my cell phone rang...I was out of my body because it was a Utah area code. Sure enough it was ELDER JOHNSON!!! He was able to get to a phone sooner than he thought, which worked out perfectly. He sounded so great! He was happy, excited, nervous, and READY! It was so hard to hang up that phone! So off we went to the airport for our trip. WELL...our flight was cancelled...we didn't end up leaving til the next day AND Kevin was able to call again and we talked for about 30 more minutes. I am convinced that it was a tender mercy from the Lord. It could have turned out so differently. The story does not end here. Kevin was also able to talk to Jeffrey, which was so good for the both of them. We figured Kevin was on his way to LAX the whole evening. The next morning, after landing in Chicago, I had a message from Kevin, that they also had flight problems! Their flight out of SLC was delayed which caused them to miss their flight to Hong Kong. So he spent the night in LA and was rerouted to Tokyo and then to Singapore. What an adventure that must have been. The long of it...he landed safe and sound and was one TIRED missionary. But as you will read in his email, he is so happy to be there and is ready to get going! That "optimist" was right again! Just a side note. We had a fabulous time on our trip, which was made possible by an answer to prayer and a phone call!
June 16, 2011
Hello Mom and Dad!
This will just be real quick, but I thought I would explain a little bit about the trip... Flight cancelled in Salt Lake, so we got a different one but it ended up being late so we missed our flight from LAX. We stayed the night in LA, then flew to Tokyo and then to Singapore. From Singapore we flew to Jakarta! This place is crazy! there are people everywhere, they are all very friendly and it is SO hot. I am feeling pretty jet-lagged today. It feels like it should be a ton later than 6 pm right now! WE were able to do a little bit of proselyting, I went with another elder and rode the bus for an hour. It seems like they speak a completely different language than I was taught! But I am sure it will get better with time. We will be getting a temporary assignment for our first week here for our local visas to go through which will allow us to go all over the country, and then after that we will get our longer assignments.
I believe P-day will be wednesday so I will here from you all then!
Love ya,
I hope all is well!
Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an ordeal! And what a blessing and answer to prayer. Happy for all of you, and good luck, Elder Johnson!

    ReplyDelete